Not in the south. Not. Even. Close.
Just a few days after the new year (January 6th), a beautiful thing begins....CARNIVAL SEASON. The excitement is insane...it's a close rival to football season in the south. (Don't get me started on football, yanks. That is an argument you will never win!) I will make a safe bet that the majority of yanks have never even heard of Carnival season before. That, my friends, is something I can't even imagine.
Originating in Mobile, Alabama, Mardi Gras can actually be traced all the way back to Medieval Europe. Today, it is most recognized as a holiday of New Orleans. Of course, I was raised in Hattiesburg, conveniently located 1.5 hours from both locations. Hattiesburg has not really had much celebration until recently. Although, for the 3rd year (I think?) the burg has proudly hosted their own little "Hardy Gras" named after our main street running through town, Hardy Street.
I could spend all night explaining Mardi Gras traditions, but really it is more about the underlying meaning of what Mardi Gras says about Southern culture. Even though the following is completely my humble, southern opinion, I am sure that almost all southerners will agree:
-We love to find a reason to have a party....and go ALL OUT.
-Once we have a theme, we live and die by it. Wear the colors- from head to toe. Don't try to make an excuse. You honestly will be the only person who doesn't dress up.
-Speaking of dressing up- we love to get ridiculously gaudy with it. Sequins, beads, massive hats, etc are highly encouraged.
-It's gonna get loud. Either get excited or get away.
-Food...duh?! There's a dish for every season- and King Cake is...well, king. There is NOTHING worse than a crappy excuse for a king cake. I guess the yanks wouldn't know the difference anyway!
-We need absolutely nothing to have fun. Stick us out on the side of the road with our friends, family, food, drinks, and a radio...we will literally sit there all day waiting on a parade that lasts an hour. Call us simple minded if you want- to us, it's just a different type of tailgating.
- Our holidays are not just one day. We have 67 pre-parties that come before the actual holiday...and the actual holiday is considered a 5 stretch. Yes, we do get out of school for this yanks- sorry we're not sorry!
I guess my only question left is---- what do yanks do for fun?
A King Cake visual for all the yanks. There is a plastic baby hidden inside somewhere. If your piece has the baby, you have to eat it. Yep, it's tradition.
Shhhhh.......

No comments:
Post a Comment