Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Home on the Range

Huntin' vs. Hunting

We spent the weekend in Hattiesburg visiting with my family. Of course my mom, sister, and I went about with our womanly shopping duties while the men went huntin'. My dad has been an avid deer hunter since before I was born, and I know that this time of year, Dad is always out huntin' on the weekends and holidays. 

It has been nice to see my Dad and Curtis have a common interest....or not so common. My Dad has been giving Curtis the rundown on the ways of Mississippi huntin'.

After visiting Iowa my first time, I realized that the type of hunting Curtis and other midwesterners do things quite a bit differently. 

First and foremost, I am not fluent in hunter's language, but I know what tree stands and shooting houses are. In my mind, pretty much huntin' necessities---Not so in the yankee world. While we were in Iowa, I look out the window of the Ladwig's cabin (where us women folk were cooking vittles and watching over the children) and Curtis, his Dad, and their other friends were just wondering through the woods with guns! If I were to partake in this style of hunting, I'm pretty sure I would end of accidentally shooting some other hunter that was out doing the same thing as me! Or, with my luck, not shoot some random bum that was actually wandering up to mug me. How do you even tell the difference? The only type of huntin' I know of is sitting in absolute silence in a deer stand or shooting house for hours. I guess maybe this is another way southerners are lazy? Or, as I would say, "preferential towards comfort." We just sit back, relax, and wait for the deer to cross our path. Fact is, Yankees go hunting- Southerners go huntin'. Now we all know the difference. Ya learn something new everyday! 

Do you know what a pheasant is? Nope, I didn't either. I had to google how to spell it. Enough said. 

I'm not even going to go into white camo. I'm pretty sure some of my fellow Southerners are going to read this and think- "White camo....What the heck is white camo?" Now, I'm no expert, but a few short years ago, I didn't even know white camo existed. Yep- this girl is purely Southern.


HEY- sister...I can totally see you. Pffffft....white camo....






No comments:

Post a Comment